Bra Fittings & Breast Shape Guide: Science of a Perfect Fit
When it comes to finding a bra that fits, shape guides are just as important as size guides. The way the volume of breast tissue is distributed on your body, how narrow or wide-set your breasts are, and the general shape will all mean that different styles will work better for you.
Your bra shape guide
While everyone’s body is unique, most people find they fall into a broad category of breast shape types. Once you know what this is, it’s a lot easier to find a bra that fits with shape guides that pair bra styles to your particular breast shape type. So without further ado, let’s get into it!
- Defined by: Volume and fullness all over, round breasts can tend to be slightly more top-heavy in terms of volume and require good all-around support.
- Your best styles: If spillage is a problem for you, a t-shirt bra will give you great coverage while supporting your breast volume with good structure. Bras with a high apex (the point where the cup starts in comparison to the bra strap) will give you great coverage, lift and support.
- Defined by: Breasts with the volume concentrated at the bottom of the shape, teardrop breasts tend to have the majority of breast tissue below the nipple. Bell-shaped breasts are also slender at the top and may have more volume overall.
- Your best styles: Balconette bras are a great option if you have a teardrop or bell-shaped chest. They support your bottom-heavy breast volume, while also giving you a little lift. Soft cup fabric will also mould better to your unique breast shape and avoid the problem of overspilling or gaping.
- Defined by: Both side set and east-west breasts are set further apart on the chest, with a clear gap between them. East-west breasts tend to have more fullness and volume, with nipples that point outwards, while side-set breasts have a wide space between breasts.
- Your best styles: A plunge bra style is great for both of these breast shapes, as it gathers breast volume to the centre and gives you a more enhanced cleavage. When shopping for everyday bras, keep an eye out for underwire styles that have a band separating the cups, as this will suit your natural shape more comfortably.
- Defined by: Athletic and slender body types generally have slightly wider set breasts, with less forward projection (i.e. sitting closer to the chest), and can also be more muscular than defined by soft breast tissue.
- Your best styles: Athletic breasts generally need less support than those with lots of volume, which means a wire-free style is a perfect choice for comfort and everyday wear. If you want a little more cleavage in a dress or top, slender breasts look great in a plunging push-up bra that will lift, shape and define your assets.
Illusions Lingerie — amazing bras for every body
No matter your breast shape or your favourite style of bra, at Illusions Lingerie, you’re sure to find a style to suit you. Check out our newest arrivals, or shop all bras today and find your new everyday bra or special style with a little more va-va-voom. Read the bra shape guide and still not sure which bra is right for your shape? Chat to our team for more fit tips and to find the right style for you. Alternatively, come and visit our shop — we offer a bra fitting service with no booking requirements.
About The Author
Famously known throughout Moonee Ponds and Greater Melbourne as the "Bra Fairy", Tracey has been helping women feel comfortable and confident through stress-free bra fittings for over 38 years.